The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable DNS Completely!?!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by rweiss, Sep 26, 2002.

1. rweiss

rweiss Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

When adding domains / subdomains, I'll often get the message &[Domainn] could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address.&

As we all know, CPanel checks to see whether or not the domain name or subdomain being added is set to use the proper DNS servers, and has an IP that resolves to the CPanel server.

Is there any way to disable this? I'm using a completely separate DNS system, and would like it if I could force CPanel not to check for any of this stuff... just have it add the domain/subdomain and not worry about DNS.

Nick / whomever, any way to do this? I'd be glad to add it as a feature requestion, but can DarkDave or Nick please comment on the feasibility of this sort of thing, and whether or not you'd be willing to add it on.

Thanks,
    Russ

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:228f81719e][i:228f81719e]Originally posted by rweiss[/i:228f81719e]

When adding domains / subdomains, I'll often get the message &[Domainn] could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address.&

As we all know, CPanel checks to see whether or not the domain name or subdomain being added is set to use the proper DNS servers, and has an IP that resolves to the CPanel server.

Is there any way to disable this? I'm using a completely separate DNS system, and would like it if I could force CPanel not to check for any of this stuff... just have it add the domain/subdomain and not worry about DNS.

Nick / whomever, any way to do this? I'd be glad to add it as a feature requestion, but can DarkDave or Nick please comment on the feasibility of this sort of thing, and whether or not you'd be willing to add it on.

Thanks,
    Russ[/quote:228f81719e]
    Setup your nameserver as slave DNS
    (a trust relationship with your primary nameserver )

3. rweiss

rweiss Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

djbdns / tinydns

I'm not running Bind on my main name server, I'm running tinydns... So I don't really think this will work.

Is establishing trust really something I need to do? I don't want to control updates at all via Cpanel/WHM, nor do I really want to run Bind on the Cpanel server.

I went into the &Tweak& section under WHM, and set it so it allows me to configure unregistered / unresolvable names... this didn't seem to work. I submitted a ticket / support request through WHM.

Thanks.

-Russ

4. macmartins

macmartins Well-Known Member

DNS for config by cpanel

Yes, We've the same problem....can't set a domain in cpanel that's not registered.

5. felice

felice Member

And it gets really interesting if you want to register a domain that requires the domain to be added to the nameservers _before_ it can be registered...

6. rweiss

rweiss Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Haha, Felice, I can imagine! I think this DNS check should be completely configurable. I think that's what Nick attempted with the &Tweak Settings& section in WHM, but either I'm not understanding it, or it's just not working.

This just seems like it should be the type of thing that can be shut off. I, for one, don't want Cpanel to do any checks of names that are added. I'm debating posting this as a feature request, but I'm hesitant because the options under &Tweak Settings& might achieve just what I'm looking for (if they were working properly).

-Russ

7. macmartins

When they'll repair?

Yeh, is very interesting...If the person is setting the domain, will register it after, of course!

I hope they fix it asap, but when they will repair it?

8. rweiss

rweiss Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I have no idea when they'll get to it. I submitted the request via WHM a few hours ago. Last time I submitted a request like that, I think Nick got to it by the next day... but it was simply a problem on my end, not a problem with the Cpanel build.

Guess we'll see.

9. macmartins

Any News about?

Any news about this problem?

10. rweiss

rweiss Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Nick just got back to me and told me that there was an error with the last STABLE build. He added it to the latest EDGE release, which, if you want to install via WHM, you need to change your preferences to tell it to install the latest EDGE release (not STABLE).

I just tested it and I'm still having some weird errors, but that might be because I've sufficiently screwed with the Cpanel server (currently a test box, not production).

If you can, give it a try and *please* let me know how it goes.

11. macmartins

Version

Thanks...but it is fixed in edge...do you know if is fixed in stable too...Because the edge is like a 'beta test', isn't it?

12. rweiss

rweiss Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I don't think it's fixed yet in the STABLE release. I imagine that he'll put it into the next stable release. Yes, as far as I understand, EDGE is a beta release.

13. macmartins

ok!

Thanks...I hope it happen quickly! :)

14. macmartins

release 137

Do you know if release 137 has this fix?

15. macmartins

R137

I think in Release137 it works ok!