The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable DNS Management?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Wardrop, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Wardrop

Wardrop Registered

Is there anyway I can turn off all DNS management in cPanel/WHM, so it always uses the DNS settings configured externally. This would be really good as it means I wouldn't have to maintain two identical sets of DNS records. I just want cPanel/WHM to respect the DNS settings as configured on my DNS provider, PointHQ.

Any help is much appreciated.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could disable named on the machine in WHM > Service Manager area by unchecking the "enabled" and "monitor" options next to named. At that point, DNS won't run on the machine, but this will only work if you truly have another set of DNS nameservers controlling and parsing the zones for those domains to point them to your machine. If anything doesn't work after turning off named, simply re-enable it again in Service Manager.

I've only seen someone turn named off in the instance where they might have a cluster set to another machine that's handling the zones and they don't want it to locally run.

3. Wardrop

Wardrop Registered

Thanks for that. I've just disabled it, so we'll see how it all goes. Hopefully it doesn't cause any problems.

Cheers