Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable DNS service?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by lambov, Nov 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. lambov

lambov Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    i have servers and using DNS cluster ns1 and ns2
    can i disable DNS service on my server2 if i use dns cluster?

2. tmcstom

tmcstom Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Clustering is mainly used for redundancy. So for example, you have two servers clustered for DNS, both are running DNS so if one fails the other will be able to resolve the domains. If you disable DNS on one of the clusters you are pretty much destroying your cluster. By having only one server hosting DNS there's no need to have a cluster setup.

If you are wanting to disable DNS on one of the servers, just have the other server setup with a standard DNS setup and have the DNS zones added there to host your DNS for your domains.

More information about DNS clustering can be found at the link below.

Guide to DNS Cluster Configurations - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

If you can provide more details on your exact setup that would help us get a better understanding of what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can disable the local name server on the hosting server by selecting "Disabled" via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Nameserver Selection"

You will still see DNS zones in /var/named/, however the name server is not actually running locally so no additional resources are utilized.

Thank you.