The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable emails outside of working hours

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mediastreet88, Feb 25, 2015.

1. mediastreet88

mediastreet88 Registered

Jan 8, 2015
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi there!

Just a quick question which has my mind baffled!

In short I have a client with WHM/cPanel and for one of the accounts on the server they don't want to be getting emails outside of working hours. So I want to be setting up a delay so inbound emails to their hosting account don't deliver emails between i.e 8pm and 8am. Anyone know how to do this?

The real issue is due to the fact that they work with clients overseas - therefore the staff's mobiles constantly beep during the early hours of the morning. So they want to stop emails coming in during this time.

Thanks in advance and any ideas are welcome (accept for just turn off their phones!).

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is a problem that you need to address at the mail client level - in the smart phone's configuration - not on the server. If you disable an account from receiving mail during a certain time period, it is going to cause bounces back to the people who sent the mail, and that will make it look like the mailbox does not exist, is full, or there is some other problem, and that is just going to cause confusion and even more complaints when people get a bounce message and don't understand why their e-mail was not received.

Most smart phones have a simple button or switch that causes them to not make any noise, or vibrate instead of making a sound. That is the quickest and easiest solution.

Also, Android and iOS have "quiet hours" and "do not disturb", respectively, which is really what you want. The user of the phone can define certain time periods during which certain types of notifications should not be received, or at least not make a sound. I did a Google search for "android quiet hours" and found the following near the top of the search results:

Shhh! 3 ways to keep your pre-Lollipop Android phone quiet | PCWorld
    Is there a way to set quiet time for certain notifications? - Android Forums at

I did a Google search for "ios do not disturb email notification" and found the following near the top of the search results:

Use Do Not Disturb on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support
    How to make the best of iOS 6’s Do Not Disturb feature | Ars Technica

You may also want to do your own searches, because there are many posts that explain those Android and iOS features in-depth.

The way to address unwanted notifications is on the mail client, not on your server, because any attempt to do what you want on the server is going to basically break mail. The best approach is to explain to your users that there are features available on their smart phones that can prevent them from receiving notifications while they are trying to sleep.

To summarize, it is the mail client, not the server, that generates new-mail notifications, so the way to prevent the notifications is via settings in the mail client, not on the server.