Disable end-user from downloading system backup

iso99

Jan 5, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

Is there a way (even a messy workaround) to hide or disable a cPanel user from downloading his full backup that was generated by WHM's backup feature?

I tried disabling a specific user as well as the backup configuration itself, but existing backups are still displayed in cPanel's backup page.

I'm moving my local backup storage to a network filesystem and I don't want users to directly retrieve backups from it.

Thanks!

rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have the cPanel backups made to a separate hard drive which I mount/unmount to make the backups.
The Mount Backup Drive as Needed.is enabled, and the Default Backup Directory is configured to reflect the mounted dir of the drive.

As far as the user is concerned, since the drive is unmounted, no backups are visible for download from the users cPanel except for the short time during the actual backup process (in the middle of the night :) ).

Reactions: cPanelMichael

iso99

Jan 5, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have the cPanel backups made to a separate hard drive which I mount/unmount to make the backups.
The Mount Backup Drive as Needed.is enabled, and the Default Backup Directory is configured to reflect the mounted dir of the drive.

As far as the user is concerned, since the drive is unmounted, no backups are visible for download from the users cPanel except for the short time during the actual backup process (in the middle of the night :) ).
I saw that option in WHM, I was wondering how would it work with sshfs?

rpvw

Jul 18, 2013
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Sorry, I have never tried it with anything other than an attached physical drive.

Reactions: iso99

cPLevey

Technical Analyst Assistant Manager
Staff member
Dec 3, 2015
Houston, TX
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey @iso99

Using WHM's Feature Manager, if you disable the 'Backup Manager' and 'Backup Wizard' features, cPanel account user's shouldn't be able to download account backups.

I hope this helps!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I saw that option in WHM, I was wondering how would it work with sshfs?
Hello,

The information provided by @rpvw earlier in this thread is a suitable workaround for the functionality you are seeking. Regarding network mounts, here's the advice we document at Backup Configuration:

We strongly recommend that you do not perform backups to remote filesystems (for example; NFS, CIFS, smbfs, or other types of network drive systems). While you can store a backup directly to a remote filesystem, cPanel & WHM does not support this configuration. We strongly recommend that you work with a qualified system administrator to manage this custom backup path to avoid potential risks.
I also encourage you to submit a feature request for the ability to disable system backups from the "Backups" interface in the cPanel UI:

Submit A Feature Request

Thanks!

Reactions: iso99

iso99

Jan 5, 2011
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

The information provided by @rpvw earlier in this thread is a suitable workaround for the functionality you are seeking. Regarding network mounts, here's the advice we document at Backup Configuration:

I also encourage you to submit a feature request for the ability to disable system backups from the "Backups" interface in the cPanel UI:

Submit A Feature Request

Thanks!
Yeah, I figured a network mount would be unstable. I've decided to add a new drive instead as a backup storage.

Thanks!

Reactions: cPanelMichael