The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable SFTP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by codegirl42, Mar 15, 2006.

1. codegirl42

codegirl42 Well-Known Member

How can we disable the SFTP for our users when using FTP without disabling any other security features in shell?

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

SFTP is really just FTP-like behaviour through an SSH connection, so you can't really take away SFTP features without revoking shell access.

May I ask why you want to remove SFTP access?

3. codegirl42

codegirl42 Well-Known Member

I've finally gotten all of my users used to using WS_FTP in order to access their sites..

now i get complaints because people dont know how to activate SFTP in WS_FTP in order to upload files....

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Probably more info over at openssh.org, however, commenting out the following line from /etc/ssh/sshd_config and restarting sshd may well do it:

Subsystem sftp /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server

5. neo4242002

neo4242002 Well-Known Member

Well.. this came in nice time... I have been seeking the possibility of using SFTP or FTP over SSL with my cpanel box. :) :) :) :)

Guys.. can you tell me how do I create a SFTP account with cpanel and how do I configure my SmartFTP client? :confused: :confused: :confused:

In fact I did not even know cpanel has SFTP capabilities :D

6. xidica

xidica Well-Known Member

I think you may be a bit confused. SFTP is a secure form of file transfer which is integrated with the openssh package. FTP using SSL, however, is a different story. If you want to use FTP with SSL then you'll need to consult the documentation for pure-ftpd or proftpd(or whatever ftp daemon you're using). And cPanel itself doesn't necessarily have integrated SFTP capabilities, basically any UNIX box with SSH has that capability.