Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED Disable SpamAssassin Completely for Account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by AndyCivil, Jun 29, 2018.

1. AndyCivil

AndyCivil Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    My hosting company has "Forced Global ON" enabled, but I want all emails delivered to my Inbox on all my email accounts. If I delete '.spamassassinenable' on my account, will that work (and is it safe)? It looks like mine was written at exactly 3:00pm which implies that it was created by a cron job, so I suspect that if I delete it, then it will reappear.

Can I set a threshold that effectively renders it impotent? I tried 50, but it still seems to divert emails that fail the global threshold of 5.

Can I set a whitelist string that passes everything? Would the whitelist string be
    Code:
    or
    Code:
    *@*.*
    or something else?

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @AndyCivil

What you might do is the following:

1. go to cPanel>>Email>>Spam Filters ->Disable Move spam to a separate folder and Automatically Delete New Spam
    2. Click the Spam Threshold Score and set it to 10

SpamAssassin does accept wildcard references but I'm not sure if what you're suggesting would work, though only email with a score of 10 or higher will get marked as spam with the settings I suggested.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AndyCivil

AndyCivil Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you for the suggestion, it would be fine if there was an option to "Move spam to a separate folder" but I don't see it there, only the delete option. Perhaps my hosting company is using a different version? It says 72.0.7 in the bottom left, by the cpanel logo. Meanwhile... my hosting company, in response to my complaint, seems to have turned the global force off, so I can disable it now; so perhaps my problem has gone away. I will follow up when I know.

4. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @AndyCivil

The UI should look like this unless it's been customized in which case you'd need to work with your provider.
    SA_SPAM_BOX.png

It does sound like they have removed the forced global on though and you can disable SpamAssassin from your UI in this case.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AndyCivil

AndyCivil Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I have success! I don't know why I was shy to try a wildcard, but I got bored waiting for an answer over the weekend, and tried a simple asterisk as a whitelist string. Sure enough, all emails are being allocated a score of -100 and getting delivered. I therefore consider this an adequate workaround: to receive all emails, even spam, add a whitelist item, and put a single character asterisk.
    (P.S. I turned SpamAssassin off three times, and each time it was turned back on again by something (I don't know what). So yes, this should be the correct solution, but it didn't work for me.)

cPanelLauren likes this.
  6. cPanelLauren

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @AndyCivil

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. As far as what is turning SpamAssassin back on without root access to the server it'd be hard to determine. Thank you for letting us know what worked for you.