The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable System Information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by internethosting, Nov 21, 2003.

1. internethosting

internethosting Well-Known Member

Is there any way to disable 'system information' in web host manager?

I always thought there was, but I can find it.

Tim

2. internethosting

Before I get attacked for "trying to hide information" from my resellers. let me explain.

We are going to start allowing some of our trusted resellers to start selling 'Reseller Accounts."

They will handle most of the support, but anything they can't access; we will handle.

The problem is, the server information shows information such as the server name, etc. which includes our information. It would just be a lot easier, and cleaner if we could get rid of 'system information' for select accounts.

Tim

3. jcaliaga

jcaliaga Member

NONE?

No one knows how to do it?

Regards

4. Host4u2

Host4u2 Well-Known Member

Disabling System Info...

Using RVskin, this and much more is possible. Check it out at http://rvskin.com . It's been so long since we have used Cpanel skins, I'm not sure otherwise.

5. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

This would be a good thing to have in X skin. When you login via Cpanel you can see the servers exact kernel, php modules, perl modules and other things that make it easy to find possible exploits. Being able to hide that stuff does help as a line of defense for us out there fighting hackers every single day.

6. internethosting

Exactly!. The days of being able to let our users know exactly what we use is over. I don't even want my resellers to know exactly what equipment, kernel versions, etc. we use, and they can get all of that from System Information (WHM).

I do use RVSkin, and its true, that does help; but I want to limit WHM from showing anything as well as cpanel.

oh cpanel gods, I know years ago, it was nice to be able to tell our clients exactly what software/kernel versions we are using, but those days are over. Please provide us a way to disable this information in WHM (System info), and cpanel (raw) themes.

Thanks much,
    Tim

7. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

I also agree on this. Though from the looks of things that been happening, secruity from within cpanel/whm seems to be a low priority.

8. internethosting

I have heard a lot of different things about CPanel's security, but compared to many other control panels that I have purchased, I am very happy with Cpanel as a whole. As with most Internet Applications, security is a 'work in progress'. Hackers are getting more advanced every day, and CPanel (and redhat, freebsd, etc) need to be able to keep up with it. CPanel gives us a great tool to make our lives easier, but I have learned its up to us to secure the boxes; just sometimes we need CPanels help to help give us control of features such as this.

I respect what you are saying, but compare it to compeating products on the market, and CPanel still holds a special place in my heart. :)

Have a great day,
    Tim -

9. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

lol don't get me wrong i love cpanel... it saved me hours of work... i just wish i had that piece of mind that it was more secure lol. But cpanel is the only panel software i will ever use and recommend.

10. internethosting

You explained my thoughts exactly!..

Tim

11. Host4u2

Host4u2 Well-Known Member

Great input internethosting...

You should open a poll

12. internethosting

13. chuckyc

chuckyc Member

If you go to /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/themes/
    in each of the theme directories there is a file called command

Edit that file, look for the line that starts with:
    <a href="/scripts/serverstats".....

Just above that, there is a line that looks like:

WHMDEFINE:ACL=all,ACL=stats

This means that if you give a reseller the "View Account Statistics" option, then they can see the server stats.

I think this is a bug, because the ACL should be:

WHMDEFINE:ACL=all,ACL=status

Which relates to the reseller option "View Server Status"... which makes a lot more sense!

Also, to prevent the Server Status heading appearing for resellers with no sub-options, if you changed the above, then you should change the WHMDEFINE two above the one you edited, and make it the same.