The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disable webmail for account main username / password

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by jsmcm, Jun 28, 2012.

1. jsmcm

jsmcm Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi everyone,

I had a spammer register for hosting on my site and he used the main accounts username / password to log into webmail to send some spam.

He did not create any emails through cpanel, he just used the account login.

Is there anyway to disable people from using webmail with the account login? I do have "Mail authentication via domain owner password [?]" set to off, but that seems to do nothing for webmail?

Regards,

John

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello John,

You could do the following for that account. First of all, do the following in WHM > Packages > Feature Manager, select the disabled list there (if it does not exist, in root SSH go to /var/cpanel/features and create the file disabled).

In that disabled feature list, select Default Address Manager and uncheck it, then click "Save"

The Default Address option will no longer appear in cPanel on accounts. Additionally, the default email address will not show up in cPanel > Email Accounts area.

After that, go to cPanel > Account Level Filtering and setup a filter that if it goes to username@hostname.server.com (where username is the cPanel username and hostname.server.com is the server's hostname) it will discard (go to /dev/null).

Thanks!