The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disabling Backup Configuration in WHM

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philips Vellappally, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Philips Vellappally

Philips Vellappally Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Guys,

I own a master server with more than 10 VM's wth cPanel installed and I do not want my clients to use the backup feature . I am looking to disable the WHM Backup feature or even remove this feature completely from WHM as the WHM Backup feature is extremely inefficient. It writes all data in to a .tar file which causes high stress on the server in regards to I/O and CPU.

For now I am commenting out the backup cron job. Is there any way I can fully remove this feature.

2. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can disable it in the feature manager or templates. Disabling backup is not a good idea. You can configure incremental backups which won't take a lot of cpu .

3. Philips Vellappally

Philips Vellappally Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I am not looking to disable backup for the cpanel accounts. What I am looking is to disable or remove the Back Configuration from WHM. So other cPanel servers in the node cannot enable backup. The problem is that I don’t provide root access to any of the VM's and commenting the root backup cron will solve this but if the clients says I configured the backup and there is no backup. I will be in big trouble .:)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's not possible to disable this feature for "root" users. Users with root access are likely to expect the backup feature if you are offering cPanel/WHM. The better solution might be to configure the "I/O" settings when deploying the servers. These settings are documented under the "System" tab at:

Tweak Settings - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

In addition, the "Extra CPUs for server load" option under the "Stats and Logs" tab in the above document could also help. These settings are all adjustable during the installation through the /var/cpanel/cpanel.config file:

Installation Guide - Customize Your Installation - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Keep in mind you may also want to alert your customers of this policy in your welcome emails, or even offer them a guide to alternative backup solutions. Otherwise, they may seek support on why their backups are not functioning as expected, or it may lead to confusion about why backups operate differently.

Thank you.