Disabling cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

wrongersine

Registered
Sep 22, 2017
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is there a way to disable the cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi page for domains that we do not have configured on the server. Ideally nothing should be served from the web server.

We have been allocated some new IP's to our server and we have noticed Mod security is blocking scans to half a dozen websites that we don't own. I am assuming at some point they were hosted on the IP's we have now been given and have old DNS entries somewhere.

We could do without the excessive resources being used up in his way.

Many thanks
Gary

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
When you're removing a domain from the server, you remove any reference to it from your server but this doesn't control whether or not the domain points to the server. When a domain's IP address points to the server, the default behavior when it doesn't have an associated VirtualHost is shown the default page, this is more typical in an instance when the account has just been moved to the server.

With that being said, I'm curious how much resource usage you're attributing to this as the amount this would typically be would be inconsequential.

wrongersine

Registered
Sep 22, 2017
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Sure I agree, it's probably inconsequential if they are not getting hit by all these scanners looking for vulnerabilities. It's very frustrating to have to put up with this for our own website let alone a load of other domains unrelated to us. I've counted 7 sites now in the ModSec logs. Surely that is going to be using up resources. Apache has to handle all the requests and ModSec and our firewall deal with them.

Last edited: