The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disabling Unnecessary Services

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jazee, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jazee

jazee Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a Cpanel/WHM Server on Centos 7 that has been stripped down to hosting only one simple website so I really don't need Cpanel/WHM anymore and am going to let the license expire.

I'm not hosting any email, any DNS, etc. All I believe I'm using is Apache, PHP, MySQL, PureFTP, SSH, SMTP (Sendmail). Nothing else I can think of.

For security I would think it would be prudent to disable any unused services. I guess off the top of my head that would be Email hosting and whatever services and how to disable them?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You should move your account to a server with no control panel. Letting the license expire is not the way to go.

3. jazee

jazee Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think this reply would be more helpful to readers if you could elaborate more specifically regarding WHY you make this recommendation? Specific consequences or benefits?

An alternative approach would be to use Service Manager (prior to expiration) to disable all but the basic needed services. And then possible also follow recommendations in this article. But I'm still interested in the specific reasoning on your recommendation.

TailWatch - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

4. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Actually, I think the question is, why would you leave a cPanel license expire and stay on that account?
    How will you create a new email account, use Webmail or change it's password?
    How will you manage backing up your files?
    Change your login password?
    Assuming you have root access, how will you update the server software?

Personally, I can't imagine wanting to go it alone without my cPanel control panel for the couple of dollars it costs to use, and keep updated.

5. jazee

jazee Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually I think the question is the question I asked as the person who started the thread. I didn't ask for commentary on possible reasons behind doing what I want to do. So far only my own reply is on topic as far as trying to actually answer the question. LOL.

6. Infopro

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    I'm sorry, I don't have a proper answer to your unusual question. If you've got CSF installed, it has a tool for checking unneeded services. You could disable mail via the Service Manager in WHM as well I believe.