The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Recovery - Cpanel DNS ONLY, updating dns ZONES

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kyrotomia, Sep 9, 2012.

1. kyrotomia

kyrotomia Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of planning my "disaster recovery" plan. I am configuring an additional cPanel DNS-ONLY vps in amazon ec2 (but that is beyond the scope of this thread)...

Let's assume for a moment that my main WHM machine is dead (OH GOD...) and the only thing left running for a few days is the cPanel DNS-ONLY vps....

1. First, I rent a new VPS at some provider to begin the process of configuring a completely new WHM setup, where I'll import my backup and start-over
    2. **Now, this is mainly my question : How would I change all dns zones values in the cpanel DNS only machine to already point to the new IPs adresses, so I can already work against the dns cache around the globe while the new WHM is in setup.**

Hope I made myself clear enough. Thank you for your time and support!

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    you wont have to if you are restoring from backup it will automatically set the ip's (after you have set up the DNS cluster)

but if you wanted to do it before you configured your new server you could write a bash script using sed and change the ip's
    & reload the the dns

3. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In case you need to change A record of all IP's.

A script to get all the domains including the main domains, add-on domains and parked domains.
    A script to change the IP from 0.0.0.0 to 2.2.2.2 for all the domains.