The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discrepancy between AWStats and Webalizer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by carock, Aug 11, 2010.

1. carock

carock Well-Known Member

I have a customer that has been using AWStats for monitoring the web traffic.

They were complaining that since we moved their site to a new cPanel server, the stats are extremely low like traffic has dropped off.

In researching this, I found that there is a very big difference between what AWStats reports and what Webalizer reports.

Is there a problem with AWStats?

For example. I ran this command on the web log.

grep 11/Aug/2010 mydomain.com | awk '{print $1}' | sort | uniq | wc -l

Returned I get the number: 36 meaning there are 36 unique IP addresses in the web access log for today's date.

Manually running the log stats for this user, AWStats sez: number of vists 4 and hits = 15 for today.

Webalizer sez: 189 hits, 47 visits and 36 sites.

The Webalizer stats seem to be accurate, but not AWStats.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong so I can fix it?

I have check other servers, and they all seem to behave this way.

They are all running the latest Stable cPanel 11.25.0-S46156

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. donnythom

donnythom Member

Really, just moving to a new server can have adverse effects on the traffic they are getting. I like google analytics, personally, for checking out site traffic over the log programs included with cPanel. :)

3. kre8web

kre8web Active Member

Google analytics is nice, but not 100% accurate, AwStats is. However the current version of awstats is woefully out of date, and it looks like many months before its upgraded in anything but EDGE.

Having said that though, even with running awstats and webazlier side by side they show discrepancy in the results, which is odd seeing as both are parsing dom logs....