Discussion of MySQL 5.7 Support

kwdamp

Dec 7, 2017
usa
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That's great news Benny!

If nothing else, there's just a lot of name recognition with mysql . So even if MariaDB outpaces mysql development in the future, there is value in having support for both in cpanel for all of us.

We look forward to continuing to work with you, and to the future updates.

Reactions: Sametto Chan

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hi all! I'm so sorry for my lack of update here. We have definitely heard all of your concerns, and we are now planning to support MySQL 5.7. It looks like MySQL 5.7 support will be added as of Version 70. I don't want to promise yet, but it seems very, very likely. We're planning the first EDGE release of Version 70 as early as next week, and we should know for sure by then. We'll update both here and the feature request when we know for sure!

Additionally: we plan to support both MariaDB and MySQL going forward.
1| So, I've installed on MariaDB latest version, If a possible change to MySQL 5.7 right?

2| Which is better performance MariaDB latest version or MySQL 5.7?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
1| So, I've installed on MariaDB latest version, If a possible change to MySQL 5.7 right?
Currently, if you've changed the database engine to MariaDB, you cannot change back to MySQL. This tentatively looks to remain true for MySQL 5.7. We'll include this in the documentation and release notes once support for MySQL 5.7 is added to the product.

2| Which is better performance MariaDB latest version or MySQL 5.7?
This is subjective, but the following MariaDB URL offers some information on this topic:

MariaDB 10.1 and MySQL 5.7 performance on commodity hardware - MariaDB.org

Thank you.

Reactions: Sametto Chan

Samet Chan

Jun 24, 2016
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter