Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Disk full - how to find heaviest folders?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HerrimanCoder, Nov 19, 2017.

1. HerrimanCoder

HerrimanCoder Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a VPS on BlueHost. It's linux CentOS. I don't know Linux very well. I paid for an extra 10Gb drive but I don't know how to see which folders/files are being stored on which drives. For example I have:

Main /dev/vda1 - 65% used
    Data /dev/vdc - 90% used

I had a fire drill tonight because my /dev/vdc drive went to 100% and I had all kinds of problems. Luckily I was able to clean up and delete some stuff, but that was just a temporary bandaid.

- How do I see which folders/files are stored on which drive?
    - How can I control which drive my daily/weekly backups gets stored on? (I control my backups inside cpanel, and currently had to turn of my daily backups until I get my storage figured out). How can I move folders/files from one of my drives to another, without breaking websites and databases? (I have several hosted websites and 21 databases.)
    - How can I see which folders on my server are using up the most disk space, sorted from top to bottom? A tech suggested "du -chs /* | sort -h", but I can't find how to run the Linux command shell from WHM in order to run that command. Is that the best command for this? Is there anything more GUIish so I can see visually what is taking the most?

Thanks so much for any advice. I am sorry I don't know Linux well.

2. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can't run shell commands from WHM you need to login via ssh. If your not confident about doing that then ask bluehost for some help, and if they won't/can't help then look for managed VPS hosting.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

You can configure your backup directory using the setting in "WHM >> Backup Configuration" documented at the following URL:

Backup Configuration - Version 66 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

As far as disk space usage, the following document is helpful for determining where theusage is coming from:

How to Manage your Hard Drive Space - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

As far as help with shell access, this document is useful:

SSH Access - Version 68 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...