The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk inodes on vps for cpanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nitaish, Feb 2, 2011.

1. nitaish

nitaish Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I have provided a VPS to a customer with Cpanel optimized installed in it along with Fantastico and Rvsitebuilder Pro. The customer has hosted over 500 websites in the server. Today the disk inodes crossed the limit and the websites went down. I increased the limit and they started working again. The inodes were limited to 500000. What is the recommendation?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Normally, 500000 would be sufficient number of inodes for cPanel on a VPS unless you have a high number of additional services like Tomcat, Ruby, etc. added. If this is happening frequently, you may want to have the limit around 800000 instead, but 400000 to 500000 is actually what I would normally recommend for most cPanel installations.

3. nitaish

nitaish Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If a customer's requirement is more than 500000 inodes, do I suggest him a dedicated server or I should increase the inodes on the VPS?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could increase them if you have plenty of available inodes on the total machine depending on the number of other VPS nodes you have running on the machine. Otherwise, you might want to suggest having that customer upgrade to dedicated if that will better meet the requirements of what they need to run. Normally, a very high number of inodes indicates a higher number of services being installed. The more services that are installed in cPanel (such as Tomcat and Ruby), the higher memory and CPU usage.