The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk quota exceeded problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SACHIN, Apr 3, 2004.

1. SACHIN

SACHIN Guest

Dear All,

what is the solution to this problem?
    I am getting below error if I chown.
    chown: changing ownership of `username": Disk quota exceeded.
    If I create a new client account same error begins, no directories, and can't modify quotas, on accounts. even though set Unlimited . Cant browse FTP directories.

Any help in this issue will be of great help
    Thanks in advance.
    Warm Regards,
    Sachin:confused:

2. ServIntJim

ServIntJim Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi,

We are receiving this error as well, but when re-compiling Apache. We are running it as user root, which AFAIK cannot have a quota attached. In addition, the disk space is not full. I assume you are running cPanel on top of Virtuozzo? I have opened a ticket with cPanel and await their response.

3. atjeu

atjeu Member
    PartnerNOC

UP your Maximum number of user/group ID's in the service VE

We had this problem on one of our VPS server with one account that had this exact problems we got the same errors when trying to create accounts. Turned out the user has created so many cpanel accounts that they exceeded the default maximum number of user/group for that particular VE. Log into the service VE and look at the properties for the VE that is having the trebles. Go to the QoS tab and then to disk quota parameters. Go to the quotaugidlimit and increase it. That fixed it. Hope this helps

4. ike

ike Well-Known Member

all of a sudden im getting this message on my new vds and im struggling to work out how it happened. im running fedoracore5 and cpanel/whm. i recently bought abrand new box and started again after my last one was lost without backups. ive only added a handful of accounts and they worked fine. i havent even looked at the box in over a day when i needed to add a couple more accounts. when i add a user its automatically lockedout because of quopte exceeding. thehome/username dir is made with a bash.lockout file. the user does not get added a quota at all which my default is or used to be unlimited. id usually ad a user then edquota user to give them what i want. all i know is when i add a user the permissions for the new users dir are root and the bashlockout file is in there. if i try adding or changing the quotas or getting on the shell itslef i get these various messages.

[/home/hh]# chown hh:hh /home/hh
    chown: changing ownership of `/home/hh': Disk quota exceeded

Could not chdir to home directory /home/hh: Permission denied
    -bash: /home/cq/.bash_profile: Permission denied

edquota: Cannot set quota for user 32014 from kernel on /dev/vzfs: No such process
    edquota: Can't write quota for 32014 on /dev/vzfs: No such process

same thing happens when adding users thru cpanel. fails in these areas

Using Quota v3 Support
    [an error occurred while processing this directive]Added Entries to httpd.conf

/home/hh/public_html does not exist or is not a directory!

any help would be great guys. i havent touched it in anyway. i just went to add another user. and i havent added too many. i have like 15 made and thats being generous.

tnx in advance

5. ike

ike Well-Known Member

found the cause. i run a vds and my datacentre runs virtuozza. it has a first level quota limit. and you need to tell them to upgrade the limit

check here if you feel you have the same problem.