The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk quota oversubscription - possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by m0gely, Apr 29, 2005.

1. m0gely

m0gely Registered

I am using cPanel at a popular host and have a reseller account with them. I use WHM to create packages and accounts but have run into this problem. I don't know if this is a limitation of cPanel or the ISP's policy towards disk usage.

If I have 2GB of space for my own reseller account, and I make a package that has a disk quota of 500MB, currently I am only allowed to make four accounts, because 4 x 500MB = 2GB. Even if those four accounts only ever use 10 ~ 20MB each, I can't add any more accounts. They (or cPanel) do not allow me to oversubscribe the disk space. So then I have 1900MB+ going to waste.

I used to work at a small ISP and to me the model for almost any internet service is based on oversubscription. You have 2000 dial-up customers but you don't have 2000 phone lines. But you do have to be prepared to give people what you've promised in case they want it. And I'm fine with that, I just don't know if this company is doing this to me or if it's a limitation of cPanel/WHM.

I had planned on using my own server to start hosting sites and had the cPanel demo running at home for a bit but this particular question never popped up. I never actually started adding sites and decided to host somewhere else to save some $$$ until I had enough clients to co-lo my own server. Any help is much appreciated.

2. JamesCTotalWeb

JamesCTotalWeb Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The hosting company does not allow over selling thats why you can not set up more accounts then what your space allows.

It is a setting in the WHM server admin theres nothing you can do other then asking them to allow you to over sell.

3. m0gely

m0gely Registered

Thanks, it tells me that it's not a limitation in cPanel then.