The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk space calculation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by masood, Jun 28, 2002.

1. masood

masood Well-Known Member

What is included in disk space used in cpanel? MySQL databases? POP Accounts?

Do they also count towards disk space? or anyone can create 100MB of database :p

I just uploaded 2MB of database, and there is no change in disk space used? :(

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

The only data the quota system picks up are files & directories that match the UID/GID of the user in question. Now, that's a BIG &only&, it covers 99% of most account data. But.....

Hence, mysql databases are NOT included in that count, neither are apache logs, any outgoing/incoming mail still unsent or unspooled, or any cgi-scripts that require different permissions other than the UID/GID of the user- (aka INTERCHANGE)

Lovely, I know.
    :p
    I would imagine these things may all be tied in as time progresses, though under linux it would be quite might blowing to push that functionality out.

Anyway, I know Nick has heard this issue preached to him before- so if it's possible (that is, a godly quota system that could handle all of this) , I'd look for it someday soon.

3. masood

masood Well-Known Member

Oh!! That's pretty weird.

Even if it does not count towards *quota*, it should at least add the disk space used using username_* database directories, and show it in all control panels what user has used?

Now do I need to keep track of mysql databases separately?? :-(

Similarly other logs and files can be added up. I'm really amazed if this is the case.

This also means that all those hosts out there, providing &unlimited& databases in their reseller or virtual plans can be screwed up easily. :p

4. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

This is how quota systems and linux operating systems work.
    If darkorb/nick were to concoct something that injected database content and all of the other items we've mentioned into the system, it would be pretty revolutionary.

Now, nothing in this realm is impossible as we've learned..... well, to some extent.

I never thought I'd have pseudo proftpd virtual hosting on our linux systems, but now I know better.

I'd imagine a better system is in the works. I will continue to bring it up whenever I get a chance to rant about features & enhancements.

;)