MrIver

Feb 24, 2020
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi Guys,

I am having some trouble understanding how our diskspace is used on our servers.

We have about 210 clients on one of the servers currently taking up about 130 GB. In addition we have local backup using Jetbackup running, which also takes up about 130 GB.

So in total 260 GB for clients.

If I go to "Show Current Disk Usage" it says that we are currently using 455 GB.

This means that system + others is taking up 195 GB of space.

Can this be right? Could there be some overhead-files taking up space which can be delete?

Thanks!

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Identifying where the disk space is being allocated is usually the most helpful method of doing this but it does take some investigation. Typically if I'm investigating an issue such as this I'll start from the / directory and work my way through the highest space-consuming directories:

Run the following starting in /

Code:
du -h --max-depth=1
You can even decide to only show usage in GB as opposed to MB with grep
Code:
du -h --max-depth=1 |grep G
For example the output from my test server:
Code:
[[email protected] /]# du -h --max-depth=1 |grep G
6.4G    ./backup
6.1G    ./home
3.7G    ./var
9.2G    ./usr
1.1G    ./opt
27G    .
[[email protected] /]#
From there I'll go in to the next highest consuming directory so in this case it's /usr and run the command again.

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Just wondering where/how you are getting the numbers for JetBackup. If it's from the JB dashboard (Total Account Usage) I'm pretty sure that number is telling you the amount of disk they are using (in cPanel) not in the backup. We have not found a way to have JetBackup give us it's usage numbers. When we want it we cd into the folder where backups go and run:

Code:
du -sh .
It's going to be very unlikely that the JB storage will be the same as your web sites. MySQL dumps (for example) are typically larger than the actual database. JB can't create incremental database backups, so that just causes it to grow more.

MrIver

Feb 24, 2020
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you very much for your anwsers.

Using Lauren´s commands I was able to find out that:
  • We had about 60 GB of crash-logs under /var/crash/ from a previous crash-problem
  • JetBacup took, as suspected by ffeingol, up about twize as much space as the Jetbaup plugin states in WHM.
So now everything makes more sense - thanks!

Reactions: cPanelLauren