The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Space Usage with Email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Jeff75, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

I have a client who is currently over their disk space usage. In their mail directory it is showing they are using around 120 MBs in their domain.com folder and their inbox file is showing 175 MBs. The mail directory is using around 300 MBs. In cPanel, it shows their total email usage is around 120 MBs. Does anybody know what kind of email would be in their inbox file and why it isn't showing up in cPane under disk space usage under the email page?

If I just type echo > inbox, would it free up all the space and just delete the spam emails? I'm thinking this is just their default mail folder and is getting spam/bounced messages.

2. casey

casey Well-Known Member

If you echo the inbox you will remove all of that person's messages that are currently in the inbox. I would recommend having the customer delete them. If the files in the person's mail folder are not owned by him, then they will not be counted against his space. Check the ownership of the files inside
    /home/USERNAME/mail/DOMAIN

3. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

casey,

Thanks for your help. All of the files in the mail directory are owned by userid:mail. The space is being counted against his total disk space usage on his account, but when viewing the disk space usage in the Email section of cPanel, it shows he's only using around 125 MBs when the mail folder is using around 300.

Can you tell me how he needs to go about accessing the inbox file in the mail directory so he can delete the 175 MBs of data that is taking up space?

4. casey

casey Well-Known Member

He can't download it with Outlook? If not, temporarily upgrade his package with enough space to handle it and tell him to delete the stuff. Then you can downgrade his account when he's done.

5. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

What would he need to enter to download it in Outlook? His userid@domain.com address (default account)?

Also, does a client have to keep their default email account or can they change it to something else?

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

No, the default account is just USERID and password.

You can set the default account to forward e-mail to another address, fail it, or blackhole it through cpanel.