The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Usage Calculations and file ownership question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hedgehog, Nov 6, 2001.

1. hedgehog

hedgehog Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    Newbie here;

I had to move an account\'s files from one folder to another (by copying to a temporary folder and then restoring to /home/user) and noticed that the file ownership had changed from user:user to root:root

This caused the customer to stop seeing his files and the disk space calculations in Cpanel to stop giving the actual figures.

As a solution, did a chown -R user:user /home/user/ and got the problem solved.

But I am worried about some files that had the cpanel:cpanel owner:group setting...

Is this going to cause general chaos?

THanks, :)
    Hedgy

2. carpman

carpman Active Member

I beleive that if you move or upload, maybe even edit files as root or su that belong to another user, then the ownership does change.

Not sure if this a bug or just linux thing though.

One thing to watch out for with using chown is that it is recursive when used on dir, make sure that certain files you are going to change don\'t need to be owned by nobody or other system group.

3. hedgehog

hedgehog Well-Known Member

That\'s exactly what I am afraid of...

Do you think it will cause any errors with the customer\'s control panel?:(

Also, user\'s file should be owned by user and the group must also be user, right?

Thanks a ton,
    Hedgy