The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk Usage Climbing - something is core dumping.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shannon, May 4, 2007.

1. shannon

shannon Well-Known Member

Two servers, both exhibiting same behavior since yesterday morning (v11 rollout?)... Disk usage climbing... took a look, and found a boatload of core.#### files in /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/docroot/ ... Looking closely I see one is being generated every 5 minutes. I check my cron list, and discover the only one that runs every 5 minutes is:

*/5 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/bin/dcpumon >/dev/null 2>&1

I have not been able to deduce 100% if this is the problem process just yet. (I ran it manually a few times. It appears that a couple of those times it caused a core.#### file to appear, but a few other times it did not).

I'm going to disable the cron job in question, give it an hour, and see what happens. Just wanted to get this out here incase anyone else is seeing something similar. Running C11600

OK, scratch dcpumon from the idea list... didn't take long to prove me wrong on that front.. disabled the job in question and about 15 minutes later, I look, and low and behold, 3 new core dump files. :( Back to the drawing board.

#1 shannon, May 4, 2007
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  2. rone

rone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am having exactly the same problem. I have send your message to the mailing list for EDGE users.

What version do you run?

3. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

Run file command on the core file.

file core.****

That usually tells you what generated it.

4. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Its fixed in the edge build that is coming up now. 11603.

If there are no problems, the patch will get merged into CURRENT.

5. shannon

shannon Well-Known Member

Systems setup to upgrade to "Current" nightly... so right now... C11600

Still piling up core files, *almost* every 5 minutes (strangely, sometimes 2 of them, and sometimes an extra in between)... I no longer thing it's a cronjob doing it, more then likely something internal to whm.. (although I'm not getting any "whm failed and was restarted" email though)..

I took xprt's idea, and it's giving me back the same results for every one of them:

Code:
    ELF 32-bit LSB core file Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), SVR4-style, from 'whostmgr'

Now, I am in WHM currently, doing some things, but I had to leave the desk for 40 minutes or so, during which time they were still piling up. (Add in the fact that they were occurring all night, when nobody would have been in whm)..

Just cleared them out, going to go to lunch, dwell on this a bit, and see what I can come up with on a full stomach. :)

Edit: Ahhh. see, thats what I get for sitting on an unsubmitted reply too long before submitting it. ;) Thanks Nick! I'll just sit tight and wait for the Current patch after the brave Edge folks have seen how it goes.. :) Will just clean the core.* up in the meantime. ;)

#5 shannon, May 4, 2007
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  6. freedman

freedman Well-Known Member

looks like nick is testing a fix.
    watch http://layer2.cpanel.net/

once current for your os goes to 11603 or above, run /scripts/upcp or do an upgrade through whm, and you should be good to go.

7. kship

kship Member

I have CORE dump files being generated in 2 client directories. Can anyone give me an idea as to why this is happening? Is this being caused from a server problem or a client code problem? Anyway to determine this? I run most recent current.

Thanks.

8. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What does

Code:
    # file core.12345

(where 12345 is replaced with the actual number in the core file name) output?

What does

Code:
    gdb /bin/ls core.12345

output?

THe latter should at least spit out a message saying /bin/ls did not generate the core dump, and tell you which command did.