The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk usage not updating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tribulant, Jun 4, 2014.

1. tribulant

tribulant Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Good day,

I'm running WHM/cPanel on Amazon EC2 in a VPC scope.

I had one, small volume attached to the instance as a trial to see how the Amazon server would work.
    It works great so we're going to use it as a development server.

I detached the small volume, made a snapshot of it from which I created a new volume.
    I then attached the new, larger volume via AWS console and everything works great.

The problem is that WHM isn't recognizing the new disk. The disk usage is old: http://goo.gl/LX9A2c
    fdisk does recognize the new disk though so it's just WHM: http://goo.gl/iEmC21

root@tri [~]# fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/xvde: 107.4 GB, 107374182400 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 13054 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

I've tried several things like /scripts/fixquotas, etc... but nothing works.
    How can I get WHM to update the disk usage and keep doing so?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please do not cross-post the same message to multiple sections. I have deleted the copy of this message in the CloudLinux section as a duplicate.

The fdisk output you provided shows that you do not have any partitions on the hard drive, so it is not yet ready to use. The WebHost Manager gets its data about hard drives directly from the operating system, which recognizes partitions; it does not recognize hard drives that do not have any partitions. This is actually not a problem with the WHM itself, because it is only reporting the data it gets from the operating system.

Before you can use the new disk, it must have at least one partition created, and the partition must be formatted, and then mounted. Only then will it be usable by the operating system. fdisk shows what is recognized as hardware, but that does not mean it is usable. Unless fdisk shows at least one partition, the disk is not ready to be used.

Exactly how to partition the drive, format and mount the partition(s) depends on the operating system and virtual environment, so you will need to ask your hosting provider for assistance with this. Once the drive is partitioned, and the partition(s) is/are formatted and mounted, the space will be recognized by the operating system, and in turn by the WHM.