The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disk usage reportage discrepancies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward123, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Edward123

Edward123 Member

For one of my clients, WHM & cpanel report disk usage of 1288MB. They have a small and simple web site that uses approx 180K total (pages & images), with no databases, etc. They do have quite a few (approx 150) email accounts, about a dozen mailing lists, a few forwarders, etc.

If I go to cpanel | mail | add/remove accounts | show disk space used, and then add up all of the usages shown, I get just under 400 mb. Does anyone know where/what the other 800MB disk consumption might be?

If it matters, there are four domains parked on the account. (hosted domain + 4 parked)

I am on WHM 9.9.7, Cpanel 9.9.8 s6, x skin

Thanks for your insight.

#1 Edward123, Dec 10, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  2. simpint

simpint Member

I've seen the same thing and I don't recall where the extra disk usage is, but a great way to check is to log in to the server, itself, and do a:

du -ks *

after changing to the user's home directory. This should give you a better idea of what's going on. I believe there might also be a flag to report on directories / files that start with ".", as -ks alone will not do that.

Dave

3. ptez

ptez Active Member

I use du or du -ks *, and the result is ok.

However, while displaying the disck usage on CPanel, the value is more than double.

Any solution to fix that?

4. simpint

simpint Member

Maybe cpanel is including the disk usage of any backup(s) you might be using? It SHOULDN'T be, but -- in which specific directory are you doing du -ks? Maybe it's not including any .* files or directories?