The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISKWARN: /var/tmp and DISKWARN: /tmp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timmy5000, Jul 31, 2014.

1. timmy5000

timmy5000 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I received two e-mails from cPanel today saying the following:

DISKWARN: /tmp on [REMOVED] ([IP REMOVED]): 3.02/3.84 GB - 83%‏
    DISKWARN: /var/tmp on [REMOVED] ([IP REMOVED]): 3.02/3.84 GB - 83%‏

I'm lost on what to do. I have a VPS and I have 2 accounts on the VPS, now for the account I received the e-mail from I noticed that my max disk space is 35GB and currently it is at 14.5GB so what is this error all about?

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have root access to the VPS, please edit your forum profile and change your "cPanel/WHM Access Level" to "Root Administrator." You have "Website Owner" selected, and that is going to cause you to get replies that assume that you do not have root access, which may cause confusion and frustration.

The e-mails are telling you that your /tmp and /var/tmp (which are usually the same directory; one is a link to the other) are 83% full. You need to investigate the usage in /tmp. The best way to do this is to log into the server via SSH as root and explore the /tmp directory using standard Linux shell commands. Files in /tmp should be temporary in nature, as the name implies, so if there is high usage, there may be a problem with a site script or a service not cleaning up after itself.

/tmp is a separate partition (really a file mounted as a partition) with its own size limit, so that is why it is different from your overall hard drive space. /tmp has a finite size, in this case 3.84 GB, that is set independently. It has nothing to do with the 14.5 GB remaining free on the hard drive as a whole.

3. timmy5000

timmy5000 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I do have root access. I wanted to edit it a second ago but it says the following:

Code:
    timmy5000, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
        If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
        New users are limited in what they can do with their forum profile to what was added at registration. Additional modifications such as adding a signature, an avatar, or updating your profile in any way are not permitted until you become more active, timmy5000!

Also, what do you recommend I do? Delete everything in /tmp?

4. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You do not yet have the ability to edit your profile, because you do not have enough forum posts. As you become more active, you will be able to edit your profile.

Please do not blindly delete everything in /tmp. Look at the contents and determine whether they are needed or not. You may or may not have a serious problem. cPanel sent you the notifications based on your settings in the Notifications section of Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings. Those settings are documented here:

http://documentation.cpanel.net/display/ALD/Tweak+Settings

If you have any caching system like eAccelerator, nginx or varnish installed, they can store cache files in /tmp, and that can cause the usage to be high. That is why I disadvise deleting everything in /tmp, but instead investigating exactly what files are in that directory, and whether they are necessary or not.

5. timmy5000

timmy5000 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How do I know those are installed? I have a cache related issue on my website. Some cache related thing on the server is delaying CSS and HTML updates on my server, instead of it being immediately reflected, they are taking up to 24 hours. Also, which is safe to delete? These are in my /tmp folder.

Or how do I know which to delete and which to keep?

File is attached.

Attached Files:

#5 timmy5000, Jul 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  6. timmy5000

timmy5000 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just noticed. It is 93% full now. Is it normal to go up by 10% the next day?

7. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I advise using the "du" utility to determine what's taking up the space in your /tmp partition. You may also find the following thread helpful:

Tmpwatch Every 24 Hours

Thank you.