Operating System & Version
centos
cPanel & WHM Version

maquinadigital

Aug 10, 2006
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Once again, I've seen the documentation for linked servers on cpanel 94 and now it mentions Distributed accounts.

Is it now that one account can exist on a main server and on a linked mail server, and count just as one account?

I don't see any purpose on this (rather than some security), if I have to pay 2 accounts in order to have mail separated from the rest....

It would make more sense to allow 1 account to be distributed per role/server and count as 1 (+ solo license for each server).

If it's not like that, why so many restrictions on the linked servers? If I payed twice for the account, why are the services restricted?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! We are starting to roll out some of the additional nodes, like mail node, with version 94:

At this time, there is not a special license type available for the linked nodes, as they would require a full cPanel license capable of handling however many accounts you plan to use. The main use for the server nodes would be to offload mail, database, or DNS activity to a secondary system.

I do believe there will eventually be license changes to help accommodate this, but I don't have any official details on if or when that will happen.

maquinadigital

Aug 10, 2006
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
yep, complete nonsense IMO.
I already started to offload the WEB part (the one that poses more risk, as Cpanel stores everything next to the site, thus having tons of risk for all config/password files stored inside the same home) to Centos Webpanel servers.

In a while, those license changes, if they ever appear, will be too late.

maquinadigital

Aug 10, 2006
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
This whole price-per-account concept would be better accepted by me and the community if it would come together with the concept of "price per account independently of the nodes".
Of course, each node with it's own solo licensing but no duplication of the account licensing.

Reactions: cPRex