The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Olate, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Olate

Olate Active Member

We have 2 servers:

server1
    server2

server1 and server2 are clustered so they both use the same DNS records. server1 hosts our company sites and server2 hosts our customer sites.

However, server1 has both ns1 and ns2 pointing at it. So all requests are sent to server1 first, and if necessary routed to server2. The problem here is that if server1 is down, then all the sites on server2 will also be down.

I know that it is possible to have ns1 on server1 and ns2 on server2, but I'm not sure how to go about setting it up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

All you should need to do is to amend the zone file record to point ns2 to an IP address on server2 and then modify the nameserver records IP address with the registrar for domain.com and it will propagate over of its own accord. There's no downtime associated with the propagation as you'll still effectively be serving the same zone files from both servers.

3. Olate

Olate Active Member