The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distro support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jammer2020, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Jammer2020

Jammer2020 Member

What happens when Redhat 9.0 is at its EOL in April 2004? Since Redhat has moved pretty much to their Enterprise Linux solutions, will CPanel be creating a port for those versions and will CPanel continue working with the "free" version of Redhat now called "Fedora" which is basically normal Redhat Linux 10?

The only other alternative would be to switch to either Debian or SuSe which I am not against doing but I would like to plan ahead a little bit if this is needed.

2. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

I am also interested as to what Cpanel plans to do. It would seem like Fedora is the logical progression, simply because Cpanel has always been based around the Redhat line...

Any comments from the Cpanel staff?

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Yes, interesting topic...

4. zex

zex Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seem's that debian only promise that will be forever free :D

5. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

You're confused. Redhat will still remain to be free - they are just no longer offering support to the basic "Redhat" line. They are focusing on the workstation and server series for businesses, where they can get support dollars. Debian or any other could do the very same thing in the future.

6. johnchan

johnchan Active Member

If you're doing hosting using cPanel... you probably don't need the latest wiz-bang features that Ferdora provides.... as it WILL be relatively unstable (any new features and such will tend to cause this, intended or not).

Debian is really the ONLY free, long term stable, security focused distribution I can think of (Linux-wise).

Debian backports and releases security fixes for distros LONG after they've released a newer version, just so people aren't FORCED to upgrade like Redhat is doing (or basically saying, Upgrade, or you won't get security updates... which is essentially forcing an upgrade).