The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DKIM Core Key valid when checked but not when added to DNS

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Mike_ACC, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have seen several threads in these forums about "fiddlyness" when trying to enter valid DKIM keys from cPanel in external DNS. One thread advised to strip out a " and space and a trailing \

So I did that with mine and pasted into Check a DKIM Core Key Record at dkimcore.org and got "This is a valid DKIM key record" and thought hooray, cracked it. I pasted the selfsame key exactly into my DNS and then checked in Check a published DKIM Core Key on the same site and get "this is not a good DKIM key record. You should fix the errors shown in red."
    "This TXT record consists of multiple strings. This is valid and can't be avoided in this case."
    (and under where it gives the public key)
    "The p=field must be base64 encoded"

I have repeated this a number of times. Another checker (protodave.com/tools/dkim-key-checker/) gives "Unable to properly parse the public key string and determine key length or the key is invalid. Tip: Make sure there aren't any special charaters or newlines pasted into your key in the TXT record."

I don't understand why the same string when pasted into DKIM Check is passed valid but pasting the same thing into DNS and then checking in DKIM published is not good.

Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Mike_ACC

Mike_ACC Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, yes, I had read most of those and attempted to fix without any success.
    However, happy to report that, thanks to cPanel support Technical Analysts, we found the issue was due to DNS not saving special characters (particularly the plus sign + ) correctly. When this was rectified - and we used the single set of quotes version suggested by your guy - all worked fine. I just post this so anyone stumbling on it can see what our answer was. Boy is it fiddly going through key character by character to see what's missing before / after saving but worth it in the end. :)

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator