The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DKIM in cPanel how to remove Slashes

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Henrique Kieckbusch, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Henrique Kieckbusch

Henrique Kieckbusch Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello!

I am trying to use Dkim in my server. So I just created the TXT:
    "v=DKIM1;p=...code.."

But if I "dig" it to check I have:
    "v=DKIM1\;p=...code.."

For me it is ok (since I think it is escaping), but the company that will send the mail market said it is wrong and I have to remove \

WHM/Cpanel always put the Slashes before ";"

I tryed by shell to edit that ".db" file. And I restarted "named" by it always show this "\"

How can I do that?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You'd actually leave the DKIM record as it is within cPanel and the DNS zone stored on the cPanel server. If you are adding the DKIM record to a remote server that handles the DNS for your domain name, you can remove the escapes when manually pasting the record into the DNS administration interface.

Thank you.

3. Henrique Kieckbusch

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am adding the Dkim to the remote server.

I tried to paste the "TXT", but I can't remove escapes..

If I paste (without "):
    v=DKIM1;p=...code..

After save It changes to:
    v=DKIM1

If I paste:
    "v=DKIM1;p=...code..."

after save it changes to:
    "v=DKIM1\;p=...code..."

see?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recommend contacting your DNS provider to determine how to properly add the DKIM TXT entry, as it varies depending on where the DNS is hosted.

Thank you.

5. Henrique Kieckbusch

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Sorry, I still didn't understand. I will try to explain better...

I have a WHM in a VPN that uses CentOS. So I have total control of the server.
    We have many websites hosted.

One of them got a company to send E-mail Market (they will not use our server to send these e-mails).

This company sent him a message saying he needs:

1) Add a TXT to DNS.. for SPF... *done*
    2) Add a TXT to DNS.. with the subdomain.. "1495136784._domainkey" and code "v=DKIM1;p=MIGfM..alot of code..QAB"

I had already DKIM enabled in our server. I made that by that option in Cpanel inside authentication. So I had already the subdomain "default._domainkey" with the code that Cpanel created that is like ""v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIIBIjA....DAQAB\;"

Nice.

I created these TXT that they asked by WHM ( DNS functions -> Editing Zone ).

It is here that started happening what my first message says.

1) When I put "v=DKIM1;p=...code.." here in WHM and save.. the WHM changes to "v=DKIM1\;p=...code.."
    I said them it is done.. they answered me "There is a \ before ;. It is an error you have to fix.... "

2) Then I tried "v=DKIM1; p=...code.." with a space there, so WHM doesn't put "\"
    I said them it is done.. they answered me "There is a space after ; you have to fix... "

And here I am. It is impossible to me put the code they sent me, because WHM escape the string. Put "\" before ";" and this is not good for them. And I am about 2 weeks to do this and I can't.

I use WHM as DNS manager.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If I understand correctly, the cPanel server handles the DNS for your domain name, and the DKIM record is already setup. However, the email marketing company is asking for a change to the existing DKIM record and the domain name uses a remote mail server for sending email. Is that accurate? If so, you could try manually inserting the record exactly as they prefer it directly in the zone using the following command:

Code:
    vi /var/named/$domain.tld.db
    Then, make a simple change (e.g. add a new "A" record and then remove it) to the zone via "WHM >> DNS Functions >> Edit DNS Zone" to sync the zone file and ensure the changes are live.

Thank you.

Henrique Kieckbusch likes this.