DKIM Repair Not Working

split.the.house

Registered
May 9, 2019
USA
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hello,

cPanel tells me that "Problems Exist (DKIM and Reverse DNS)" in my Email Deliverability settings, and my emails are being treated as spam by some recipients.

I have tried several times to use the "Repair" option in the Email Deliverability section of cPanel to repair my DKIM. When I do that, cPanel tells me, "Success: The system updated the “DKIM” record for “<mydomain>.com” to the following..." However, it then times out after 120 seconds and tells me the server records have not been updated, and the status remains at "Problems Exist (DKIM and Reverse DNS).

What are the next steps for me to resolve this issue? I'm not sure where to start because I haven't been able to find any promising online topics about other users who've experience the same issue. I'm happy to do some manual legwork to fix things if someone can help give me a little direction.

Thanks in advance.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @split.the.house

It sounds like there's an issue with the ability to modify the DNS zone records on the server. If you don't have root access to the server you'll need to contact your hosting provider to for further assistance.

Thanks!

nivekau

Jul 22, 2011
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have exactly the same issue as reported by the original poster, but I do have root access!

So I go into WHM as root then click on the specific account, where it says "You are logged in with the reseller or root password."

The issue is with a subdomain (REPAIR worked fine on the main domain) and I experience exactly what the OP has described.

Any suggestions please?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hi @nivekau

Does the account in question have access to modify DNS records in its package? The specific features that would be involved are as follows: MX Entry, Zone Editor (A, CNAME), Zone Editor (AAAA, CAA, SRV, TXT)

nivekau

Jul 22, 2011
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi cPanelLauren,
I think it is reasonable to assume that the account must have the required permissions, because "Repair" works on the main domain, the problem only occurs in the subdomain.

However, the mail for the subdomain is handled by a different server, so should cPanel even try to test/repair the SPF and DKIM for the sub domain?

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Actually, if DNS is hosted locally (which sounds like it is) and it was able to repair the primary there shouldn't be an issue with modifying the SPF/DKIM on the subdomain.

Looking through cases and I'm not finding anything relevant for this on v80 of cPanel/WHM - when you attempt to repair is anything logged to the cPanel error logs? They can be found at /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log

There are a few cases that may be relevant here but I'd need to know if there was anything output to the cPanel error log in reference.

darksoil

Registered
Dec 13, 2019
public_html
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Goodday,

Please my Email Deliverability settings is having issues with DKIM, SPF, and Reverse DNS, and my links are being treated like spam to some recipients.

I have tried several times to use the "Repair" option in the Email Deliverability section of cPanel to repair my DKIM. When I do that, cPanel tells me, "Success: The system updated the “DKIM” record for.......afterwards it times out after 120 seconds and tells me the server records have not been updated, and the status remains at "Problems Exist (DKIM, SPF, and Reverse DNS).

Then I get a "WARNING" message which states: Because this is not an authoritative nameserver for the domain "mydomain", the current or suggested records will not reflect your changes. Use the "ZONE EDITOR" to ensure that the system applied your changes.

Please i need your help urgently on how to rectify this issue.

Thanks in anticipation.

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Product Owner II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
This is occurring because the server is not authoritative for your domain. You're using the nameservers provided by your registrar and pointing the domain to the server with an A record. DNS zone changes made on this server will have no effect on the domain.

domaincolony

Aug 18, 2019
uk
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
This also appears to happen if you have DNS Clustering enabled, it treats your ns1 etc in the cluster as external. Not sure this should be how it works on cPanel DNSONLY Clusters but ho hum.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
@domaincolony - if you think there's some behavior that should be changed you can always submit a feature request through the link in my signature below. If you think there is an issue with how cPanel is operating and you can provide the steps to reproduce it, I'd be happy to test that on my end and get it reported to our developers.