DKIM validation and 123.reg shared hosting - warning

jot

Oct 3, 2020
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I want to share this information in case anyone else is in a similar situation. I am in an ongoing battle/discussion with 123.reg in the UK about DKIM authentication of emails sent from cPanel email account. 123.reg will not provide the 'Email Deliverability' function within cPanel nor, it seems, access to the directory in which cPanel stores details of DKIM keys. This means that emails from any of my cPanel email accounts are going out with a valid DKIM header (since DKIM is enabled) but I have no way of creating a corresponding DNS record to publish the public key. So, all my emails fail DKIM checks and 123.reg are continuing to refuse to provide or give me access to the default public DKIM key used by cPanel.

What should have been a 5 minute job has now stretched into a 5 day farce with no resolution in sight. All responses so far simply say to create an SPF record, so I'm not even sure they understand. No doubt, I could pay them more money for separately hosted email boxes but I don't see why I should.

jot

Oct 3, 2020
England
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Sure do. I can create a DKIM DNS entry but I can't get hold of the public key - the cPanel directory in which the DKIM keys is kept is hidden from me and the Email Deliverability cPanel function is missing. Have had a long 'discussion' with 123.reg but they simply won't give me, or give me access to, the cPanel default DKIM key for my account. They keep telling me that it's because I've got a shared hosting solution and I should reply on SPF alone. It's utterly bizzare.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your hosting provider, I'd suggest, if the services they offer don't meet your requirements you look for an alternate provider which does.