kevinf2594

Registered
Apr 17, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I have problems setting the dmarc i'm using this format

"v=DMARC1; p= quarantine; rua=mailto:[email protected]"

but when i test it the dmarc does not appear in the original message in gmail.

is it a problem with the format of the dmarc i'm using ?

jimlongo

Mar 20, 2008
After some experimenting I found that in the WHM DNS Zone Editor you need to set the domain to _dmarc the RR to TXT and input the dmarc record something like (without escaping any ; or @)
Code:
"v=DMARC1;p=none;pct=100;rua=mailto:[email protected];ruf=mailto:[email protected]"

To test you have the proper structure you can check with

$ dig +short txt _dmarc.mydomain.com
should return
Code:
"v=DMARC1\;p=none\;pct=100\;rua=mailto:[email protected]\;ruf=mailto:[email protected]"
or

$ nslookup
> set type = TXT
> _dmarc.mydomain.com

will return something like
Code:
_dmarc.mydomain.com	text ="v=DMARC1\;p=none\;pct=100\;rua=mailto:[email protected]\;ruf=mailto:[email protected]"
Read the documentation at this page

cPanelPeter

Technical Analyst III
Staff member
Sep 23, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Hello,

Glad you figured it out and thank you for updating this thread with your outcome/solution.
If you haven't already, please consider voting for this option in feature requests.

nootkan

Oct 25, 2006
After some experimenting I found that in the WHM DNS Zone Editor you need to set the domain to _dmarc the RR to TXT and input the dmarc record something like (without escaping any ; or @)
Code:
"v=DMARC1;p=none;pct=100;rua=mailto:[email protected];ruf=mailto:[email protected]"

To test you have the proper structure you can check with

$ dig +short txt _dmarc.mydomain.com
should return
Code:
"v=DMARC1\;p=none\;pct=100\;rua=mailto:[email protected]\;ruf=mailto:[email protected]"
or

$ nslookup
> set type = TXT
> _dmarc.mydomain.com

will return something like
Code:
_dmarc.mydomain.com    text ="v=DMARC1\;p=none\;pct=100\;rua=mailto:[email protected]\;ruf=mailto:[email protected]"
Read the documentation at this page
I found this http://www.inmotionhosting.com/supportemail/fighting-spam/dmarc-setup tutorial where it says to use this in the text field: "v=DMARC1; p=quarantine; sp=none; ruf=mailto:[email protected]; rf=afrf; pct=100; ri=86400" which is different than the one you used. How do I know which is right for my domain/server?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Reactions: nootkan