The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS A Records

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by E-Oreo, Nov 18, 2005.

1. E-Oreo

E-Oreo Registered

I am interesting in editing the DNS A Records for my domain name in order to point some subdomains to different webservers. I have a standard shared hosting account, not a reseller or dedicated server account with my host and was wondering if it is even possible for an end user of Cpanel-X to edit the DNS records (other than MX in the mail section). I have looked around the forum and seen that it is possible to edit them in the WHM (which as far as I can tell is for resellers, correct me if I'm wrong). I don't see any options in my Cpanel, which might mean that my host has not enabled it for my account, but before I send a request to them asking them to enable me to edit A-Records I want to know if it is possible for an end user to do so.

I have contacted my host using live chat and asked how I can edit the DNS A Records for my domain, however their support told me I needed a dedicated IP address in order to edit DNS A Records... I wasn't sure whether the support person meant I needed to purchase a dedicated IP from them or whether I needed to direct the record to a dedicated IP. I know that technologically neither of these is true, but maybe its some odd policy of theirs requiring my site to be hosted on a dedicated IP in order to change DNS records. I hope not because they only sell IP's in blocks of 8, and I definitly don't need 1 for my site let alone 8. I can't seem to understand why I would need a dedicated IP to do this, unless Cpanel only allows changing of A-Records when you control the IP maybe? I've gotten the feeling before that the support people at this certain host know less than me sometimes..

If anyone could enlighten me on where/if I can change DNS A Records for my domain I would greatly appreciate it.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you host your DNS with your web hosting provider only they can modify the DNS records for you. However, if you do have a dedicated IP address, they can enable an option in cPanel for you to edit your zone file. That said, they should have no problems whatsoever (technically) in modifying your DNS zone file for you and pointing an A record for your domain to an IP address of your choosing.