The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS and IP setup for reseller

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by rascal2trust, Dec 8, 2003.

1. rascal2trust

rascal2trust Active Member

I have setup a reseller with his own nameservers, and just want to make sure this is right. Here is what I have done.

Gave him two IP numbers.
    NS1.207.44.233.21 this is also his main account IP address and I have also set this so that any accounts he creates will use this IP as the shared IP.

NS2.207.44.233.210 second IP for nameserver.

I have registered his nameservers, and all looks fine. I have attached a screen shot, What I am not sure about is the
    NS1 and NS2 at the bottom of the screen shot, They are both showing up as the same IP#, except that NS2 has a box to the right with a "0" in it. Do I even need these, and if so do they appear to be correct.

Thanks Jim

Attached Files:

2. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

Gave him two IP numbers.
    NS1.207.44.233.21 this is also his main account IP address

So you assigned this IP to his account when the account were created. If so that's correct.

and I have also set this so that any accounts he creates will use this IP as the shared IP.

Accounts created in reseller WHMs are set up namebased and thus uses the server (shared) IP - not the IP of the reseller. I don't know, however, if it can be set up to use your IP, but by default it will use the server IP, unless an IP is assigned to it under account creation.

What I am not sure about is the NS1 and NS2 at the bottom of the screen shot.

They are needed in the resellers zone file only. Not in the zone files of accounts created in his WHM:

ns1 14400 A 207.44.233.21
    ns2 14400 A 207.44.233.210

Did you remember to double check that WHM updated it successfully at the server? ssh in and

pico /etc/nameserverips

It should be ok if you see:

207.44.233.21=ns1.hisdomain.com
    207.44.233.210=ns2.hisdomain.com

Then choose 'List assigned Nameserver IPs' below the reseller center in WHM. The nameservers should be listed there.

John

3. pingo

pingo Well-Known Member

As for the box with the 0 to the right of the ns2 a record, I don't remember having seen this before. You could try deleting the dns zone and then create a dns zone for the domain again.

John

4. rascal2trust

DNS

Yeh, I did go ahead and delete that one and redo it, now I have a problem with the main shared IP for this reseller. In WHM it gives you the option to asign an IP for all accounts created by that reseller to share an assigned IP, the problem is I gave it the same IP as the NS1.Nameserver, and now the first account he created was assigned to that IP, however now the NS1.Nameserver is no longer showing up if I do a DNS check, says it does not exist. any Ideas on this. Oh and by the way this is how we have the server NS1 setup, the shared IP address and the NS1 address for the server are the same, and never any problems with it.

5. atapi

atapi Registered

Excuse me,
    I've got similar problem.
    I've bought reseller account, my admin gave me 2 IP adresses, but i don't konow hoc can I set (ns1.***.**; ns2.***.**). Could you help me?

6. rascal2trust

As a reseller all you should have to do is register your name servers, your provider should take care of the rest of it, and by the way, how I did this does work, I now have it working properly on two reseller accounts.

Jim