The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS and Server Speed

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by SebastianC, Dec 4, 2003.

1. SebastianC

SebastianC Active Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Hello all:

I have a new server with Cpanel 6 and RedHat 9.

I have configurated all thinks related to DNS, and all seems to be working done, but I have the next problem:

1) In VHM and CPanel the speed is good, all is working done and fast.

2) I have created a name_based domain, pointing to the nameservers in CPanel, but here are the problems. Sometimes the domain not open (server not found), sometimes open but very very very slow (the site just have a text test page), and other times the page open normally.

Usually the problem is solved restarting Bind, but I can't be in front of my PC all the day restarting bind to fix this issue.

I don't know where is the problem (this is my first CPanel, all my other servers are with Ensim). The server is with their nameservers working (I think), pinging, etc.

Maybe the problem is with the nameservers: The domain to my nameservers is in another server, and I have added two NS records in their DNS, to point to the Cpanel server, with the IP's inside CPanel (the name servers in Cpanel are created with this internal IP's).

Somebody can help me with an idea?

Need I setup two name servers with a fresh domain, instead of the system that I'm using?

Thanks for any help,

2. solan

solan Active Member

Apr 11, 2003
    This is a bad thing, haveing the domain tdl on a totaly different box is not a really go thing. Bind works in two ways forward lookup and reverse lookup, meaning domainname=>nsserver=>ip in the steps it takes your orginal domain name lets use resolves to but in order for this to happen has to authintcate with the root.dns servers then bounces to your nsserver which then gives you the correct IP for the domain name to resolve.

now that thats out of the way, if you have the domain name not on the box that has the nameservers on it, this could cause problems.. Its just not good practice, I would do what you suggested and get a new (or exsisting) domain thats on the correct box and then get new nameservers.

Guys if I got this wrong I'm sorry, Please correct me..