The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS/BIND assignment issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Placer14, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Placer14

Placer14 Registered

I'm moving from one cpanel server to another. NS1 and NS2 are assigned to IPs on the 1st service. I wanted to migrate the NS to the new server so I change the IP of NS2 to an IP that is on my new box. I couldn't release NS2 from the first server until "the ICANN registrar releases it".

My plan was for the registrar to update the IPs on NS2 then it would release NS2 from teh first box and then I could assign it to the 2nd. When assigning, I assumed the script would check what NS2 was bound to, see it was now on an IP that belongs to that box and make the necessary addition.

Well, the registrar updated and the Ip changed but now when I assign it to the new server it says "Error, this name server already has an IP of xxx assigned to it." where xxx is an IP that is on that box.

I couild remove the NS assignment with the registrar, wait for it to propagate, then assign it to an IP, then make the change in the registrar again to match the assigned IP on the box. Unfortuantely, I don't have time to wait for propogation.

Question: Is there some way I can manually assign a specific IP not already in use on the server to the NS2 address and not cause any problems with cPanel/WHM.

I did do a little snooping around and found /etc/nameserverips but that only seems to be a reference file and makes no real changes. If anyone is familiar with this, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Placer14

Placer14 Registered

I'm still working on this issue and haven't come to a solution.

I attempt to remove the nameserver records from my registrar but they wouldn't allow it as it's still bound to other domain names.

Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks.

3. solan

solan Active Member

I've run into this problem and had one domain doing it to my ns server name which sucked ass because it was just one domain name, I finaly got him to just change!!!! the name server that it points to and then 2 days later I was able to release the IP's and move the NS over to the new box.. if this is something like what your saying, and you can contact/change all the domains' that are on that NS I would suggest doing it! thats the fastest way you will get yourself fixed.

4. Placer14

Placer14 Registered

I don't think i'm understanding you. But either way...i control both servers. It's not really a matter of the old server releasing the IP because it is now offline and no NS are working.

The new server is running its DNS. My registrar is point NS1 and NS2 to IPs on my new box. When my box tries to register the IPs, it says "Sorry, the nameserver NS1 already has the ip XXX assigned to it." where XXX is one of the IPs bound to my box.

I don't get it. :(