The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Caching Problem (TTL Issue) - Any DNS gurus want to comment?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by PeteC, Jul 5, 2004.

1. PeteC

PeteC Well-Known Member

May 8, 2003
    I have a new customer. His last host gave him a nameserver, Apparently the host created a DNS zone for him and the "www" record had a huge TTL on it.

He's moved to our service, registered the nameservers we gave him, changed the nameservers on his domain, and allowed everything to propagate. Now everything works except that still reports the old IP address if you use a caching nameserver. This is still the case a week later.

One more detail I will add is that he asked for ns2/ when he signed up with is. I don't know if modifying to use our IP address will help update all the nameserver caches.

He says his old ISP is not helpful, and they do not have his old IP assigned so it's not possible to get an authoritative lookup on or to put a more reasonable zone file up.

I wonder if any of you DNS gurus might be willing to shed any light on the situation. I'll tell you his domain name by e-mail or PM, but I don't think I should post it here as I don't have his permission to do so.

Thanks in advance for any insight or help.
  2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2004
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Okay send a PM so we can look at it. Will post the solution here in the forum if we arrive at one.