The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Cluster a bit unclear...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Lucian Olteanu, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Lucian Olteanu

Lucian Olteanu Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello, i have a question regarding the DNS cluster. In the table where the cluster servers are listed, for one row, the "DNS role" is "for" or "of" that server? For example i have the following:
    - s1.example.com (web server)
    - s2.example.com (web server)
    - ns1.example.com (DNS only)
    - ns2.example.com (DNS only)

For s1.example.com i have in "Configure Cluster" the following:
    ns1.example.com - DNS role: Synchronize changes
    ns2.example.com - DNS role: Synchronize changes
    This means that s1 will syncronize changes to ns1 and ns2 (Synchronize changes is "for" ns1 and ns2), or that ns1 and ns2 will syncronize chnages to s1 (Synchronize changes is "of" ns1 and ns2)?

When i add ns1 and ns2 to "Configure Cluster" in s2.example.com also with DNS Role set "Synchronize changes", all the zones from s1 are copied to s2 also.

Please can you clarify the situation?
    Thanks,

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello Lucian,

If you have ns1 and ns2 set to synchronize changes on s1 machine, this means that the changes will synchronize from s1 to ns1 and ns2.

For s2, you'd also do the same and add ns1 and ns2 to synchronize changes to those servers from s2. The zone from s2 will not be copied to s1 but only to ns1 and ns2. The zones on ns1 and ns2 will be viewable on all servers in the cluster, though, since they are able to view the cluster zones.

When you add the servers to ns1 and ns2, you'll see s1 and s2 to ns1 and s1 and s2 to ns2. On ns1 and ns2, only have s1 and s2 set as standalone. You do not want to synchronize back to s1 and s2 from ns1 and ns2, since you need to have it a one way synchronization.

You might want to read our documentation on setting up clustering:

Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

Thanks!

3. Lucian Olteanu

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, i have read the Cluster documentation and i made it like you suggested:

Configure Cluster for s1.example.com:
    - ns1 - Role: Sync changes
    - ns2 - Role: Sync changes

Configure Cluster for s2.example.com:
    - ns1 - Role: Sync changes
    - ns2 - Role: Sync changes

Configure Cluster for ns1.example.com:
    - s1 - Role: Standalone
    - s2 - Role: Standalone

Configure Cluster for ns2.example.com:
    - s1 - Role: Standalone
    - s2 - Role: Standalone

But now when i add an account (test.com) in s1.example.com, i can see its zone also on s2.example.com (when i go to "Edit DNS Zone"). Since Synchronization is one-way why the zone is copied also in s2?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I already discussed this in my prior post as to why this would happen:

The zone isn't copied to s2 (check /var/named on s2 to see if you can see the zone locally for s1 there, you shouldn't see it there). The zone is viewable on all servers in the cluster. There's a difference between viewable in Edit a DNS zone and synchronized locally to the machine.

Thanks!

5. Lucian Olteanu

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah, now i understand it. Thanks,
    However it would help at least to make an option so i can choose not to display zones from other servers.
    Thanks,

6. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I agree with this... insomuch as it would make it a bit easier for non-technical cpanel admins to understand how the DNS cluster system works. (ie: Zones not actually on a server are still listed in the "edit dns" whm screen, and this is a little confusing.)

However... perhaps this could be more easily "fixed" if there is some simple explaination on the "Edit DNS" screen? Or perhaps a color coordinated list, with "red" color indicating that the zonefile isn't actually locally found but is in the cluster, whereas a "green" color would indicate the zonefile is locally stored on the server.

I hope that makes sense? This way, the current system (which works as expected, but is a little confusing for non-techy admins) can easily be more understandable when using DNS Clustering.

(And it shouldn't be too difficult to implement such a color coded system with a simple "is the zonefile physically on this server?" check.)

Thanks!