The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Cluster : Adding another server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by fshagan, Nov 23, 2011.

1. fshagan

fshagan Member

I have a cPanel DNSONLY server ("pepper") and a regular cPanel server ("beef") hosting accounts. These two servers are my DNS cluster set up.

I am adding a second cPanel hosting server ("chicken"). It is not running named, and I successfully set up the trust relationships. I'm a little confused on the sync changes settings.

Here's the DNS map on the new server:

Code:
    chicken.hostkabob.com (new web hosting server, BIND not running)

↳ beef.hostkabob.com (DNS and web hosting accounts)

↳ pepper.hostkabob.com (DNS ONLY)

Both of these are set to "Synchronize changes". That is correct, right?

IF that is correct, here are my two main questions. On the web hosting server that is also part of the DNS cluster, "beef", the DNS map currently looks like this:

Code:
    beef.hostkabob.com (DNS and web hosting accounts)

↳ pepper.hostkabob.com (DNS ONLY)

↳ chicken.hostkabob.com (new web hosting server, BIND not running)

Both are set to "Synchronize changes".

1. Should the new server, "chicken", without BIND running, be listed here?

2. IF it should be listed, should it be set to "Standalone" instead of "Synchronize changes"?

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If beef and pepper are your nameserver servers, then chicken should be set to synchronize changes in WHM > Configure Cluster area to beef and pepper. On beef server, if it is a nameserver and also has pepper as the nameserver, it would have pepper set for synchronize changes but chicken should be set to standalone as it isn't going to sync back records to chicken.

On pepper, you should have both beef and chicken listed as standalone, since again it shouldn't be syncing back records to either of those.

I would honestly not recommend having DNS on any of your web servers and getting instead a second DNS only machine to serve as a second nameserver.

3. fshagan

fshagan Member

Thanks, Tristan. I did get a second DNS only server. Can you point to any documentation on how to remove the ns1 name server from my hosting server, and install it on the new DNS Only server?

Do I simply change the IP at my registrar for ns1, remove ns1 from the hosting server, install it on the new server, and let it sync with the other DNS Only server?

4. fshagan

fshagan Member

OK, got it. I actually did get another DNS Only server. I'm waiting for the A record for my ns1 name server to propagate to make sure my hosting server can access the new DNS Only server.