The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Cluster - Case where "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship" is not set

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by lorio, Apr 13, 2014.

1. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In one sentence:
    cpanel WHM should only write to cpanel DNSOnly without having reverse relationship activated.

Example:
    cPanel WHM whm.domain.tld
    cPanel DNSonly dns.domain.tld

First and second NS runs on whm.domain.tld
    Second NS runs on dns.domain.tld

If "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship" is checked on the entry of dns.domain.tld IN the cluster section OF whm.domain.tld the cpanel access key of whm.domain.tld remains on dns.domain.tld. Correct?

If whm.domain.tld should only write dns changes to dns.domain.tld and should not accept annything from dns.domain.tld a reverse trust is not needed.

But Cpanel shows activation of reverse trust relationship when adding/changing an entry everytime. Even if the checkmark is not set.

I find it a risk to put a root access key of cpanel on dnsonly if it is not needed.

The wording might be is still confusing. The difference between Standalone and WriteOnly in terms of reverse trust relationship is what? Keep in mind that on the cpanelDNSOnly the cluster function is off.

In the Onlineguide:
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration

In WHM:

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Per our documentation, here is a description of each role:

Synchronize - This method synchronizes records between the local server and the remote server.
    Standalone - This method fetches DNS records from the remote server, but does not write records from the local server to the remote server.
    Write-only - This method pushes the local server's records to write to the remote server, but does not query records from the remote server to write to the local server.

To clarify, the issue you are experiencing is that the remote access hash for the local machine is installed onto the remote system? Have you verified this is happening?

Thank you.

3. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Which sounds clear, but when we add the descriptions from the WHM:
    If Synchronize is not choosen on the other server, I would expect the behaviour to be the same as Write-only.

I encourage the developers or documentation writer to do a graphical explanation with e.g. three servers (1 WHM and 2 DNSOnly).
    There are lot scenarios where the behaviour might be contra-intuitive to the wording of the settings.

No, where is the default location for saving the remote keys?
    It might be a gui problem. Some time ago it was possible to create entries without username. Under 11.42 I am forced to enter root as a username. When unchecking "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship" and saving the entry the checkbox will be checked when opening the entry again.

Thanks for your time.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The access hash for the remote server is stored under the following directory:

Code:
    /var/cpanel/cluster/root/config/
    Thus, you should not see the source server's access hash on the destination server from the cluster unless you have selected and saved "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship".

Thank you.

5. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Code:
    /var/cpanel/cluster/root/config/
    Thus, you should not see the source server's access hash on the destination server from the cluster unless you have selected and saved "Setup Reverse Trust Relationship".
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the path.

After regenerating keys, I only could find old cache files with the access hash keys.

So it at least with the current 11.40/11.42 it is a gui issue only. Or I just get the wrong impression that when reopening the cluster entries the checkbox is always checked even though I always unchecked it before creating the entry in the first place.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator