Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

DNS Cluster configuration - need some help...

Discussion in 'Bind/DNS/Nameserver' started by electric, Aug 30, 2006.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

I am not sure how this should be set up, so perhaps someone could let me know?

Here is what I want to do:

There are two servers:

server1.domain.com
    server2.domain.com​

On both servers, I have logged in as root and clicked the "Configure Cluster" link in WHM, then clicked the "Enable Dns Clustering" option and saved it. So currently, both servers say:

OK, so far so good.

Now, what I want to have set up is so that if I make DNS changes on server1.domain.com then the changes are "sent to" server2.domain.com". But if I make a change on server2.domain.com, then I do not want the change sent to server1.domain.com. So basically, I just want "one way" changes from server1.domain.com to be sent to server2.domain.com.

Is this possible? What settings do I need to configure?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    set server2.domain.com to stand Alone

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. electric

electric Well-Known Member

OK. And server1.domain.com should be Synchronize?

I guess this is where I'm confused. So if I log into server1.domain.com WHM and then go to the cluster management page, I see the listing there for server2.domain.com. This is what I should have set to Syncronize, right?

And if I log into server2.domain.com WHM and go to the cluster management page and see the listing there for server1.domain.com, I should set that to Standalone?

Or is it the reverse?

Sorry for my ignorance!

4. teddyb

teddyb Active Member

Yes, that is correct. Not sure why you want to set 2 to standalone. You will find all kinds of problems when doing that. Zone files will no sync properly. We did this with 8 servers and finally had to set them ALL to sync otherwise zones were getting lost etc etc.