The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS cluster configuration

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by whcp, Feb 2, 2015.

1. whcp

whcp Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm trying to set up a DNS cluster using two VPSs, both web servers. I have WHM/cPanel on both machines and have been following generally available instructions. I'm confused about the following.

WHM's Clusters > DNS Cluster page states:
    DNS Role Notes:
    Synchronize Changes: All changes made on this server will propagate to any server in the cluster that is linked to this server. Synchronization is one-way: changes made on another server will not propagate to this server unless Synchronize changes is selected on the other server as well.

Based on this, I would conclude that to keep DNS information up to date on both servers, then they should both be set to "Synchronize Changes". However, the WHM documentation states in a very prominent way:
    Warning:
    Do not use WHM-to-WHM two-way sync configurations. These configurations may cause DNS errors on your servers.

So, without using DNSOnly servers, how can two VPSs, both webservers, be set up in a DNS cluster so that DNS information is kept up to date on both?

Many thanks for any insights.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There's no other way beyond ignoring the warning and setting each hosting server to synchronize to each other. Typically we suggest setting up one or more DNS-Only server to handle the DNS in these scenarios.

Thank you.

3. whcp

whcp Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I would be grateful if you could clarify the following.

What are the actual dangers of this "mutual sync" setup? Perhaps I should add that, in this particular case, both servers are "low-traffic" machines and it would be *extremely* unlikely for the same DNS Zone to be edited on both machines at the same time. Are there other potential practical problems?

Thank you in anticipation.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There are issues when using the "Modify an Account" option that could allow administrators to change the domain name of one account to another domain name on another server in the cluster. You are welcome to set it up, but note that we don't recommend it.

Thank you.

5. whcp

whcp Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thank you for the clarification. I will tread softly and keep an eye out for potential problems -- and will not hold you responsible... :)
    Thanks again.