DNS Cluster "Could not communicate with remote API server"

thowden

May 17, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi All

I have a DNS Cluster of 3 DNS Only servers with 6 Web servers using Write-Only connections to each of the DNS Only servers.

I have had an ongoing issue when trying to manually 'Synchronize DNS Records' to the cluster and errors showing with one or more of the DNS servers. this seems to occur with all / any of the web servers but without any discernible pattern. Like it could be any of the webservers showing any of the name servers as 'unknown', but never all of the name servers, there is always at least 1 name server showing ok.

1595371161952.png
If I select another page in the WHM console and return then the error message is gone and all 3 of the DNS servers are listed as connected and ok.

I am just not clear if this should be expected when selecting the manual Synchronize DNS Records from the WHM menu or if I actually have an API or Token issue ?

Thoughts ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

cPAdminsMichael

Dec 19, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hmm... sounds odd. Are you running NAT or your servers on different VLANs?

cPAdminsMichael

Dec 19, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hm - I don't have a good explanation to your issue. It's a bit odd that it's random - else I would say that it's network or firewall related..
I suggest you open a support ticket (If you haven't already done).

andrew.n

Jun 9, 2020
EU
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As far as I know the APIs uses the cPanel default ports to communicate (2083,2086 etc...). Are you able to telnet to these ports from one server to another? Do you have cpHulk or hosts access restriction in place? These could explain the connection issues you see.

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Can you please open a ticket using the link in my signature? Once open please reply with the Ticket ID here so that we can update this thread with the resolution once the ticket is resolved.

Thanks!

thowden

May 17, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
As far as I know the APIs uses the cPanel default ports to communicate (2083,2086 etc...). Are you able to telnet to these ports from one server to another? Do you have cpHulk or hosts access restriction in place? These could explain the connection issues you see.
Hi Andrew

Thanks for the input. I'd expect that if it were a port or firewall issue then it would be either open or closed and not intermittent. I can trigger the sync, get the error, check the dns cluster page to see an outage, screenshot it, refresh it, and have all servers connected. It looks more like a timing issue.