The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Cluster Deployment Question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kilohurtz1, Oct 15, 2014.

1. kilohurtz1

kilohurtz1 Registered

Sep 15, 2014
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've read all the documentation.. and understand it.. Google searched it every which way... but I'm still just a little fuzzy on the exact/best procedure for migrating from a single cPanel server to a cluster with zero (or next to) downtime.. using the same nameserver prefixes (NS1 & NS2)..

I have an existing dedicated cPanel server with the hostname WEBSERVER.MYDOMAIN.COM and on it is NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM...

I have 2 VPS servers geographically separated from each other and the webserver with cPanel DNS-Only installed on them.. lets call them DNS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and DNS2.MYDOMAIN.COM... but I haven't completed setup yet.. i have 3 IPs on each to use as I wish..

I want to move NS1 and NS2 from the webserver and have the DNS only boxes assume those names as getting all my clients to change nameservers at their registrars will be a pain..

so reading the documentation and posts by others here and on other boards.. i see some procedures for deployments.. but i haven't found any that elaborate on how to proceed with setup on the new DNSonly servers when the plan is to use the existing nameserver prefixes... should i set the server hostname to NS1 and NS2? or set some other hostname (DNS1 & DNS2) and specify NS1 and NS2 in the regular Nameserver part of setup? I have plenty of IPs so having both is fine.. but which way is right? when I tried before setup automatically tried to populate the boxes with the existing IPs from the existing server.. i can change them, but is that what i should do?

after the DNSonly servers are setup.. i understand enabling clustering and setting up the replication.. what's the procedure with the least downtime of shifting the DNS to the new servers and shutting down bind etc.. i want the DNS zones to update the remote dns only servers when i add an account to the webserver... should add an NS3 and leave it active on the webserver a for more redundancy.. load isn't an issue...

i'm guessing that i set the new servers nameserver prefixes to NS1 and NS2.. force the IP change.. setup the clusters.. replicate the zones.. then change the nameserver hostname ip's at my domain registrar.. that should get the world looking at the new DNS servers.. then.. shut down bind.. is that close?? how do I make sure new accounts are created on the new servers.. etc..

I'm actually about to migrate the existing server to new hardware so i've already set TTL times to 300... now would be a good time to get this cluster up and running too.. i suppose right after the migration is successful... or is there a better way to do it during.. i dont have time to do it before.. i've migrated the existing box before so I know how to do that successfully and without downtime...i sure don't want to screw that up by adding the DNS cluster deployment at the wrong time..

any advice would be helpful.. i've been a dedicated cPanel user for years.. know my way around it fairly well.. i just wanna make sure I don't screw it all up over this cluster..

Thank in advance...
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2011
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, rather than using "DNS1.MYDOMAIN.COM" and "DNS2.MYDOMAIN.COM", it's likely easier for you understand your cluster by setting the hostname on those servers to the name servers you plan to use for your domain names (e.g. NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM/NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM). It's a straightforward setup as documented here:

cPanel - Configure Cluster

Downtime should be minimal because your users will not have to change their name servers at the domain registrar. The primary changes you need to make are to change the name server IP addresses associated with your name servers at the registrar, and to then ensure the "A" records are pointed to those new IP addresses in the DNS Zones for your name servers (or the domain name associated with them).

Thank you.