The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS cluster does not seem to work quite right on new server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Darph Bobo, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Darph Bobo

Darph Bobo Active Member

In the past, my 2 nameservers have worked perfectly clustered. I could make changes to any domain on with server and it would update on both.

That 'seems' to be happening with a new server that I am bringing up, but if you connect to it with nslookup and run an 'ls <domain name>' on it for any domain that is not hosted on that exact server, it fails with this error:

Can't list domain <domain name>: BAD ERROR VALUE

This error only happens on the new server. Both of my current DNS servers are able to respond to the ls command for any site in the DNS cluster.

I have tried removing and then recreating the DNS cluster, but it has not helped. Has anyone seen this error, or do you have any ideas on what it could be?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It could be that the zones have not propagated properly to the new server. Check in /var/named/ on the new server and see if it does indeed have all the expected .db files, also check /etc/named.conf for the same. If not, login to one of the cluster servers that is correct and run WHM > Synchronize DNS Records > Sync All. This can take some time to complete and use considerable server resources on all DNS cluster members, but when complete all the members ought to have the same zone file information within /etc/named.conf and /var/named/

3. Darph Bobo

Darph Bobo Active Member

That was what we needed Chirpy - thanks!

4. SeanLee

SeanLee Well-Known Member

I did all the above and still get the same problem.

I noticed that on my WHM server (which is my ns1) the /etc/named.conf file contains statements for all the domains (zone files) I am hosting, ie:

Code:
    zone "mydomain.com" {
            type master;
            file "/var/named/mydomain.com.db";
    };

etc. etc.

However, on my clustered DNS ONLY server (which is my NS2), there is no reference to any of my zone files in /etc/named.conf - however, all of the zone files DO EXIST in /var/named.

I even tried a clean setup from scratch and get the same results. I've tried syncing everything. Any suggestions?

:confused:

-Sean

#4 SeanLee, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. SeanLee

SeanLee Well-Known Member

Anyone have any type of suggestion on this?