The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS Cluster Issue

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by apscinsspl, Aug 3, 2008.

1. apscinsspl

apscinsspl Well-Known Member

Hello All,

I am having a quite odd issue. I have two separate DNS servers ns1 and ns2.
    I have 10 child servers under this two name servers. All 10 servers are sending their zones to NS1 and NS1 is updating NS2. In this way my dns cluster is setup.

Every thing was going OK but from few months a odd issue started taking place.

Named on NS1 fails frequently. When I restart named and check the logs on NS1 in logs I find zones with syntax error like:

"a dot missing at the end"
    "Lable missing in the zone"

or zones like mail.domain name or http://domainname are found to be created on NS1. Also I see zones like domain.com.db.work34545, randomly created on NS1.

So these bad zones are created on NS1 and NS1 updates them to NS2 in this way my both NS servers named fail.

Now the shared servers in cluster are creating zones when some one creates a domain, these zones further goes to NS servers, So I am thinking is this any bug of Cpanel which is creating incorrect zones, syntax error zones on shared servers which are further updated to NS servers ?

When named is failed i do command rndc status which shows:

127.0.0.1 connection refused.

This error is not of firewall or port 53 not being listening to request because when named failes. I do

/scripts/cleandns and start named and tail the logs

then I find some zones with syntaxt error and I correct them or remove them and then again restart named and named starts running fine.

All the issue is of the error zons coming to NS from different servers.

Please let me know what can be the issue.

Thanks.