DNS Cluster - Minimum / Recommended Requirements

Oct 21, 2019
Cape Town
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hi there,

I'm a newbie just taking over my client's two WHM servers. It appears that they never implemented a DNS clustering solution, and rather outsourced all DNS to a 3rd party called Cloudns. While I'm sure Cloudns is a lovely service, I'm not sure having your DNS separate from WHM/cPanel is that wise. So now I'm thinking of using the cPanel DNS Clustering solution as mentioned here in the docs: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/68Docs/DNS+Cluster

My question is, for my client's 1000 domains, what do I need for DNS Only software available here?: https://securedownloads.cpanel.net/

- What is the best operating system? Please limit choices as I'm a newbie and just want whatever is mainstream
- How much RAM?
- How many vCPUs?
- And disk space?

The customer wants to save money, so I really need minimum and maybe recommended.
I can't just spin up 4 new powerful name servers and give them a big bill.

Thank you so much.

cPanelLauren

Forums Analyst II
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Hello,

The installation requirements for cPanel and DNSOnly are the same. THey can be found here: Installation Guide - System Requirements - Version 84 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

- What is the best operating system? Please limit choices as I'm a newbie and just want whatever is mainstream
cPanel will only support installations on CentOS, CloudLinux, RedHat or AWS's Amazon Linux.

- How much RAM?
- How many vCPUs?
The installation instructions also provide the minimum and recommended hardware specifications.

- And disk space?
For the DNSOnly servers you wouldn't need a ton of Disk Space since all they'd be holding is the DNS zone files.

Oct 21, 2019
Cape Town
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
For those reaching this post and who is like me is too busy to RTFM and just wants a simple answer, the minimum requirement for a DNS standalone server is 1 GB RAM. I tried running one on Google Compute Engine's free tier called f1-micro (1 vCPU, 0.6 GB memory), but when the installation kicked off it aborted because it needed 800 MB RAM. We decided to drop GCE and moved to a $5 Digital Ocean Standard server and there it's working.